Big Universe, Inc. ("Big Universe") takes student privacy and security very seriously. As a school service provider, we take responsibility to both support the effective use of student information and safeguard student privacy and information security. We pledge to carry out responsible stewardship and appropriate use of student personal information according to the commitments below and in adherence to all laws applicable to us as a school service provider.
Our Commitment To Privacy
We commit to:
- Not collect, maintain, use or share student personal information beyond that needed for authorized educational/school purposes, or as authorized by the parent/student.
- Not sell student personal information.
- Not use or disclose student information collected through an educational/school service (whether personal information or otherwise) for behavioral targeting of advertisements to students.
- Not build a personal profile of a student other than for supporting authorized educational/school purposes or as authorized by the parent/student.
- Not make material changes to school service provider consumer privacy policies without first providing prominent notice to the account holder(s) (i.e., the educational institution/agency, or the parent/student when the information is collected directly from the student with student/parent consent) and allowing them choices before data is used in any manner inconsistent with terms they were initially provided; and not make material changes to other policies or practices governing the use of student personal information that are inconsistent with contractual requirements.
- Not knowingly retain student personal information beyond the time period required to support the authorized educational/school purposes, or as authorized by the parent/student.
- Collect, use, share, and retain student personal information only for purposes for which we were authorized by the educational institution/agency, teacher or the parent/student.
- Disclose clearly in contracts or privacy policies, including in a manner easy for parents to understand, what types of student personal information we collect, if any, and the purposes for which the information we maintain is used or shared with third parties.
- Support access to and correction of student personally identifiable information by the student or their authorized parent, either by assisting the educational institution in meeting its requirements or directly when the information is collected directly from the student with student/parent consent.
- Maintain a comprehensive security program that is reasonably designed to protect the security, privacy, confidentiality, and integrity of student personal information against risks – such as unauthorized access or use, or unintended or inappropriate disclosure – through the use of administrative, technological, and physical safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Require that our vendors with whom student personal information is shared in order to deliver the educational service, if any, are obligated to implement these same commitments for the given student personal information.
- Allow a successor entity to maintain the student personal information, in the case of our merger or acquisition by another entity, provided the successor entity is subject to these same commitments for the previously collected student personal information
Big Universe is also a service available to parents. Big Universe does not target nor seek to collect personally identifiable information from children 13 years or younger. Parents register and provide Big Universe with an email address and password which are used to name and access an account, and allow users to connect multiple devices to a single trial or subscription. Any purchase of Big Universe requires a credit card.
Big Universe will periodically email a newsletter to its users for whom it has a valid email address; any user may opt-out of such emails. Students/children do not receive the newsletter; in fact we do not accept or store student/child email addresses in our system. Big Universe may periodically send out emails to all registered users with valid emails for the purpose of notifying them of information about their account or the Big Universe service in general.
Information Collected by Big Universe
The information we collect currently includes:
- Username, Email and Password: For adult, non-student, accounts (e.g. teachers, administrators), a username, email address and password which are used to name and access an account, and allow users to connect multiple devices to a single trial or subscription. Student/child usernames are created by adult, non-student, accounts.
We have security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. These security measures include a firewall to prevent unauthorized access to our systems and industry standard encryption for data transmission. Although we will exercise reasonable care in providing secure transmission of information between your computer and our servers, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us over the Internet and we accept no liability for any unintentional disclosure.